Roadtrip Turkey 201301/04/2013
Some while ago, I spent 10 days with old friends doing a roadtrip in the west of Turkey. Here are some basic infos I’d like to share – perhaps they are helpful for some of you:
- We started in Istanbul and rented a car beforehand via Internet – it’s highly recommended to pick up the car at the Airport on the Asian side (Sabiha Gokcen) in order to prevent getting crazy in the Istanbul downtown traffic jams.
- We headed around the Sea of Marmara and drove down until Bergama – Bergama is nice for a 1-day trip.
- From there, we headed to the north to visit the ancient ruins of Troia – 1/2 visit is sufficient except for people who love ruins
- Afterwards, continue north to Canakkale to visit the battlefields of the 1st WW and return back to Istanbul afterwards.
- Turkish highways can drive Middle European drivers crazy – be aware!
- We went there in March which is out of season and hotels, restaurants etc. welcome you with lower prices However, you have to expect lower temperatures and bad weather as well.
- Istanbul is awesome – if you have never been there before, stay at least for 3 days.
Some impressions of the trip: